When it comes to interior design, styling a sideboard or console table can be a fun and creative endeavour. It's an opportunity to showcase your personality and create a visually appealing focal point in your space.
While there are no hard and fast rules, there are some basic guidelines that can help you achieve a well-balanced and aesthetically pleasing arrangement. In this blog post, we'll explore a simple formula that can serve as a starting point for styling your sideboard or console table.
1. Anchor the Space: Begin by selecting a large item to anchor one side of the table. This could be a statement lamp or a sizeable pot with lush greens. By starting with a substantial piece, you create a focal point that sets the tone for the rest of the styling process.
Image by Heidi Woodman Interiors
2. Introduce Layers: Layering adds depth and visual interest to your arrangement. Coffee table books are an excellent choice for adding layers to a console table. They not only serve as decorative elements but also provide an opportunity to showcase your interests and style. Stack a few books of varying heights, and you'll instantly add dimension to your display. If you're unsure about how to style your console table, loading it up with coffee table books is a foolproof option.
Image from Light and Dwell Utah Project
3. Balance and Asymmetry: While symmetry can lend a formal touch, it's not always necessary or desired. For a more relaxed and casual look, aim for a balanced composition rather than strict symmetry. Balance can be achieved by placing items of similar weight or height on either side of the console table. For example, a lamp on one side can be balanced with a decorative pot or sculpture on the other. The goal is to create a sense of equilibrium, as if the items on each side would even out if put on a scale.
Image by Heidi Woodman Interiors
4. Keep the Middle Clean and Low: To maintain a visually pleasing arrangement, it's important to leave the middle section of the console table relatively clean and low. Consider placing a few coffee table books in the middle, accompanied by small, low accessories like a vintage stone bowl or a wooden bowl. Alternatively, you can leave the middle empty, allowing the surrounding elements to shine.
5. Above the Console: The area above the console table plays a significant role in tying the entire vignette together. Whether you choose to hang a mirror or artwork, ensure that it is positioned no more than 10 inches above the furniture piece. This placement helps create a cohesive look and ensures that the elements above the console table harmonize with the rest of the arrangement.
Image & Design By Jake Arnold
It's important to note that this basic formula is not a rigid set of rules but rather a starting point for your own creative exploration. There is no "right answer" in design, as personal preference and individual style play significant roles. Feel free to experiment, try new arrangements, and adapt this formula to suit your taste and the specific needs of your space.
In conclusion, styling a sideboard or console table can be an enjoyable and rewarding design project. By anchoring the space, introducing layers, creating balance, keeping the middle clean, and considering the area above the console, you can create a beautifully styled vignette. Remember, there are no strict rules in design, so don't be afraid to break away from the formula and let your creativity shine. Enjoy the process and have fun experimenting with different arrangements to find what truly speaks to you.